eCityGov Site Network: | | More...

Electrical Permit Packet

    You can apply, purchase, and have Electrical Permits issued via e-mail and printed on your own printer. It takes minutes to apply and permits that do not require plan review are typically returned within three (3) hours.


    Permit applications requiring plan review may be available on a jurisdiction-by-jurisdiction basis.  Once you complete the pre-application process, the site will inform you whether plan review is required and available for the selected permit and jurisdiction.

    Electrical permits are currently available for the following jurisdictions on this site:


    ·         Bellevue

    ·         Burien

    ·         Kirkland

    ·         Mercer Island

    ·         Renton


    For electrical permits in other jurisdictions, please refer to the Washington State Labor and Industry website. 

    Who can apply?

    • The "property owner" (a building or home owner)
    • An owner’s agent
    • A Washington State-licensed contractor registered on this site


    What is required to apply?


    1.    E-mail address

    2. account

    3.    License approval (Contractors Only) 

    4.    VISA or MasterCard

    5.    Printer


    When do I need a Permit?

    Electrical permits are needed when installing or altering electrical service, wiring, or circuits in existing buildings.  Examples include but are not limited to:

    • Installing a new or temporary service
    • Modifying existing service or circuits
    • Relocating an electric water heater, furnace, or other electrical appliance



    Electrical permits are NOT required in the following cases:

    • Appliance replacement without modification to electrical circuits, such as dishwashers
    • Appliances connected to outlets with a plug
    • Repair or replacement of motors, transformers, appliances, recessed or other light fixtures, switches, or control devices of the same type and rating in the same location
    • Taping joints
    • Removal of electrical wiring

NOTE: In accordance with the adopted Building, Plumbing, Mechanical, and National Electrical Codes, "No building, electrical, mechanical, or plumbing system may be installed, erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, replaced, moved, improved, removed, converted, or demolished unless a permit has been obtained."

    Can I cancel and request a refund for a permit issued through

    Yes, the permit will be cancelled and, if a refund is due, it will be processed in accordance with the applicable code(s). To request a cancellation, please contact the jurisdiction directly.